Monday, April 21, 2014

The great unveiling! Welcome to Mornington Crescent Tokyo

Drumroll.... Today the dream became an official reality - At 3pm the hokenjyo lady visited the space and we now have our business permits!

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to my little shop in Tokyo - welcome to Mornington Crescent!

A suitably stamped celebratory Battenberg :)

Mornington Crescent Tokyo begins life as a little baking school, teaching Great British Home Baking to small groups, and as an online shop with authentic British seasonal and cultural treats, deliverable across Japan by cool-bin refrigerated and frozen delivery services.

I, and almost everyone I have told about my until now secret project, would also love it to be a bakery/ cafe. While this phase of the launch doesn't yet include a regular cafe, we do plan to try out bakery days in the form of the "occasional bakery" - keep in touch on Facebook and Twitter to find out when!

The space itself is a cosy size, but I already love it. I lived in Higashi Azabu a few years ago for 3 years and enjoyed the close-to-Azabu Juban station yet back-street/small neighbourhood vibe it has. It seems that there is always a new restaurant or mom-and-pop shop to discover, and I really look forward to being a new and hopefully exciting part of the local community.

It's just a 3 minute stroll from Nissin supermarket, tucked in the back streets. There are a few cosmetic things still to finish at the space - the shop sign being made near my hometown in Greater Manchester and shipped over (can't wait!) and tiles for the kitchen walls etc. but we're more or less up and running.

To celebrate this soft-launch of the business we're doing a special offer launch box - 4 kinds of British treats for delivery in Japan. Please see the site for more details.

So yes, apologies for the dearth of posts over the past few weeks, it's been a busy and exciting time! There are many posts that I want to write about that process and so I plan to do so retrospectively. I have already learned so many new things through the process of getting ready to open that I am sure it would help other people looking to do something similar. I plan to continue the blog for now as well, I'm sure there is still much to learn and share.

Ah yes, and so this is me (hello!), the face behind the little shop in Tokyo blog:

Stacey

18 comments:

  1. Now that's great news :) I'm usually just a reader but this time I've thought of commenting to wish you all the best on your new path!
    It's beautiful to see that you managed to realize your dream :) (the living proof that patience and dedication do bring results eventually, something that I have to keep in mind). I'm just a stranger on this internet world but let me wish you once again all the best and good luck!
    Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Coco!
      Thank you so much for your warm comment, it's very kind of you.
      It has been a wonderful journey even in the months and years (!) leading up to the launch, and now every day is fantastically and excitingly busy, in a great way. I'm very appreciative of all the good luck and wishes I can get, I will need them! :) Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Knowing so little about traditional UK treats, I'll just have to follow you on twitter to hear when you're holding these irregular bakery days. Offer any sourdough bread, and a hailstorm wouldn't keep me away!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob! I'll definitely keep you informed if I start up a sourdough bread club or something :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Bob, just to let you know, just in case you'd still want to know.. I usually make a few sourdough loaves for the open bakery days - next one is June 28th from 11am. :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with it Stacey! I grew up in Finchley, so your shop name is very "natsukashii" to me! Is there any chance you could make my favourite, gingerbread? And I think if you could import Marmite you'd be onto a winner with we who continue to struggle finding it in Tokyo! Onegai! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgan, thank you! Heeh.. Finchley desu ka? ;) Ooh, gingerbread is a great idea, I must make some! It would be a wonderful Autumn treat especially, along with Yorkshire parkin and other spiced goodies. Hmm.. thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
    2. Before autumn I hope, Stacey! My mouth is watering already at the thought of a slice of freshly made gingerbread, with a thin slice of cheddar on top and a piping hot pot of English tea - even in midsummer!

      Delete
    3. I will move it up the list then! Thanks so much! :D

      Delete
  4. hello morgan,
    i grew up in hollywood and a slice of gingerbread with cheddar sounds great to me too! marmite ... not so much.
    cheers,
    lonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Stacey!
    Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Lonnie! Yeah, and cheese on gingerbread, I *have* to try that!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations to you; I hope the shop does really well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. COngratulation ! very happy for you ! thank you again for the advice you put on a site. next time in Tokyo i'll visit the shop !
    i wish you the best !
    i hope to read some more post !
    ja ne !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arigatou! Hoping to have time to post more very soon!! :)

      Delete
  8. Hello Stacey,
    I've really enjoyed reading your posts.
    I'm hoping to follow a similar path in the coming months and I've taken a great deal of insight from your stories. I hope your business is doing great!.
    Thanks
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan! I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour, it's quite an amazing ride to set up your own biz. Let us know how you do!

      Delete